Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 The year of the roller coaster!!

I don't like to be negative or talk about sad things, but honestly, this is one year I am glad to bid adieu! This year has been wrought with grief and change in our family. But there have been some happy things as well, so really I do have things to be thankful for!
As many of you know, this is the year that we lost our oldest grandson Christopher (along with his mother, little sister and their exchange student). Our family is still dealing with this huge loss. We will forever.




Coincidentally, during the week of the funeral for him, three of our four children were moving. Talk about some chaos!!

As the summer went on, we found out that we were going to have another grandchild in the new year!! And we have since learned that it will be a baby girl, who, if her 4D ultrasound proves to be any indication, will look just like her big brother Holt!!! She has been named Colby Jane, Colby after her daddy's middle name and Jane after me!! Finally, after 10 grandchildren, I get one named for me!!! Woohoo!!

Our children have had some great things happen: one got a dream job, one opened her own practice, one took an amazing trip to Thailand, and then one has lived through yet another heart-breaking event.

I have found that with 4 married children and 10 grandchildren, there are always heartbreaks and disapointments, but oh, the joys!!!! They continue to bless us everyday.

The events of the year, mostly dealing with loss, threw me off my game as a clothing designer. I had managed to get only one pattern published:

Then , at the end of August, I had a business opportunity fall into my lap. A design firm wanted me to do their monogramming. So, what did I do? I bought a new embroidery machine, a 6 needle home business machine.


I monogrammed and appliqued all fall, filling tons of orders. Learning this machine was quite a leaning curve but I happily adapted. I have really enjoyed learning the software that came with it! I did manage to sew the back to the front  of tee shirts on a few early samples!!

After Thanksgiving (which was a fiasco in this family, I won't go into) my hubs and I went on a short trip to New York City. A fabulous fun filled 5 days of shopping and shows.


Next thing I knew, it was time for Christmas and I wasn't ready!!! I had not put up as many decorations as usual, didn't have all my gifts bought, much less wrapped, and had not baked and cooked as much. I found myself scurrying to get SOMETHING, anything, done. This WON'T happen next year!!
The tree looked pretty good, though!


We always have all the kids here on the weekend before Christmas, which, this year was December 17. We have gifts and heavy finger foods and a lot of playing. We had a great weekend. Come Monday morning, the hubs and I weren't feeling too well and by noon we had gotten word that one of our grandson's had tested positive for Flu A. From there, sickness of some form had ravaged over half of the family. It was a pretty miserable week before Christmas and what I hadn't gotten done, just didn't get done but we all survived!

So, here's to a great New Year!!! I hope that you all have a healthy, happy and prosperous 2012!!!!



9 comments:

Jeannie B. said...

May there be much joy in your coming year!

Eileen said...

I hope 2012 has much happiness for you and your family!

Kellie said...

I trust there is a lull in the storm of life and God gives comfort and hope for the new year! God bless blogging friend!

Laurie said...

I hope we both have a better 2012!!! Happy New Year to my sweet sewing friend that I don't know what I would do without!

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

Many wishes for a better year ahead! I know what you mean, 2011 was a bummer for me, too, but I remain optimistic about 2012!

Martha said...

2012 is going to be your year! Many blessings in the months to come. Happy New Year!

ShirleyC said...

Wishing you a much happier 2012.

thedomesticdiva said...

Wishing you a wonderful 2012! Thrilled that I finally got to meet you in person during your NYC after all these years!

With friendship,
Lisa

The sewing room said...

Hi i have visited your blog on a few occasions and i would just like to say that i think you are a very strong and amazing woman by coping with a terrible time in your life,i to have a large family and yes there is always something happening. I truly hope that 2012 is a good year for you and your family god bless you all.


Pat

counter

free website hit counter login page
Powered by web analyticswebsite-statistics.html stats software program.