Thursday, June 30, 2011

Transforming the Family room--part 1


 Today, I am linking this post to Gina's "Transformation Thursday at



and Cindy of  My Romantic Home




Upon reading the title of my post today, you may be inclined to wonder, "What on earth does this have to do with heirloom sewing, ruffles, lace or patterns"? Most of you know that those things are the usual topics of my posts. You  may be surprised to learn that even though I am a seamstress and pattern designer, I do like to decorate, fluff and even renovate my home as well!!
You may also be surprised to learn that as much as I love ruffles and lace, that is not my decorating style!!! I am more of a traditional type. As I have become a little bit too obsessed with reading other's decorating blogs of late, I m finding that my style is changing somewhat. Or, maybe, it is just being updated! This is room is almost exactly the same as it was when we added it on to the house 20 years ago, with the exception of a lamp here or a candlestick there.
Which brings us to the present. I have wanted to install hardwood flooring in this room for a long time and finally, the time has come.
Here is the room in it's present state. Well, actually, I had already started moving the furniture out. The room is 18' x 24' and is a combination family room/dining area. Don't you love that floral sofa?





Somewhere in this process, my sister suggested that since there is concrete under the carpet, why didn't we consider staining the concrete. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! I had forgotten that little tidbit of information about this room.
WHAT ...A...GREAT...IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember these famous last words, they will be important later on!!

3 comments:

Colleen Hapshatt said...

Is that the original hardwood flooring?

Sara said...

Colleen we have original HW in the rest of the house, all the rooms except a hall bath and the laundry. The house was built in '39 and we refinished them when we bought the house in '86.

Marlis said...

Love that room, can't wait to see the stained concrete.. how great that will be! Happy fourth, many blessings, marlis

counter

free website hit counter login page
Powered by web analyticswebsite-statistics.html stats software program.