So, lately I have done some research and pondering on suitable clothing for the "tween" age boy that pleases everybody!!
Some things I have learned: (just my opinion, of course!!)
1. There is a fine line in dressing a child of this age and having him wear the clothes that "I" like.
One certainly doesn't want a child dressed so "sweet" that he is made fun of.
2. A boy can still be young enough to wear a jon-jon, but might be tall and lanky even at that age.
Personally, I think short jon-jons are the most adorable on chubby little toddler legs.
3. A preppy look is a good way to go with a few adjustments. I still like shorts on this age little boys. So, as they get older, change them to pleated, "walking" type shorts. And sweaters and sweater vests look really good with the shorts, even in cooler weather. Pair the look with saddle oxfords and knee socks. Or a nice flat-soled dressy oxford. (thick, lug-soled shoes just don't work with this look)
4. Another option for dressy occasions is the Eton suit, usually short pants with a collarless jacket. These look especially nice for Easter and weddings. They can be found in stripe seersucker and linen for warm weather and velveteen for winter and holiday wear. Chery Williams has a pattern for this suit.
5. It takes a lot of looking and searching to find good looking clothes for this age boy if you want more than jeans, cargo pants and a screen-print tee shirt.
6. If you want to sew them their clothes, it is even harder!!! However, I have found one pattern that I partiularly love right now. It is the "Sailboat Top and Pants" by Oliver+S. Very cute!!!
I would love to hear from you on cute options for boys!! where have you found clothes you like? If you sew, what about patterns? Is there something in the way of patterns you would like to have?