Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Bishop Dress

This is the pattern that I used to make my first bishop dress. And I made dozens of them for my daughter until she outgrew this size. Over the years, I tried several other patterns for bishops but I keep coming back to this one.  I just love the teeny, tiny puffed sleeve and I have come to love the shorter length lately.
As my daughter got older, I did make the bishops in the ankle length style. And when I made this dress as a baby gift, I would usually make it in the daygown length of 21".
But now having two little granddaughters, who are 17 and 20 months and have been walking for some time , I see how the ankle length really gets in their way for mobility. It is a lot of dress for a toddler on the go, except for a special occasion. If I could manage it, I would have them both in a smocked bishop every single day!!!
So, I am going to try making one  taking out some of the fullness and making it the shorter length. I have to admit, I just love seeing those chubby little legs showing and worn with socks and mary janes.

5 comments:

Smocking with Gwen said...

Sara,
I'm so glad you posted this because I totally agree with you. Especially since Miss Emma loves to play in her special dresses. I had to replace the covered buttons on a corduroy Mary Dee last week after a trip to McDonald's. She was going down the slide backwards and rubbed all the fluff off...LOL
Gwen

Sherry Richardson said...

My 2 year old granddaughter only wears short dresses. She wore her Mama's dresses which were short and we make her dresses short also. If we buy a dress I have to hem it. Don't think the dress makers plan on them wearing them for everyday dresses which we do. They are only little once so why not dress everyday

Laurie said...

Smocked bishops are my all-time favorite! I agree that the longer length gets in the way - especially for toddlers! I can't wait to see what you create!

Michie' said...

Same bishop pattern that I used for Anna 21 years ago! I also love the shorter length which is what I'm making for grandbaby.

Rettabug said...

I'll be watching to see this creation come to life, Sara!

Since you don't have a blog button, I hope you don't mind that I *borrowed* that beautiful shot of you holding Holt up in the air & created a link with it on my sidebar, sending people back here to your Ruffle Bunnies blog. If you'd prefer, I can have it link to your main business site instead. Let me know how you like it, okay?

counter

free website hit counter login page
Powered by web analyticswebsite-statistics.html stats software program.