Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Well-made Bed

Over the years, I have gotten very particular about my bed. You would think my being this way, I would spend a lot of time in it. However, that is not the case. For a long time now, I have been plagued by a bit of sleeplessness. I am a hyper type of person. I find it hard to sit still for very long and I am not sure if being that type of personality contributes to my dilemma or not.  Apparently, I must not require a full 8 hours of the stuff. I long to sleep in on a Saturday morning, but ususally find myself waking at 6 a.m., regardless of my schedule. The word "overslept" is a non-occurance in my vocabulary, when it pertains to me.
But I do like my bed to be perfectly dressed and welcoming, when my day is done and it is time to turn in. If I had my druthers, I would have clean sheets on my bed every single night!!!
Here are some of the things on my lists of "musts" for my bed to be just the way I want it.
  • Buy the best sheets you can afford. For me, this would be at least 250 thread count, made of Egyptian cotton sateen, and made in Italy. I have found just such sets at chain discount stores for a very afforable price. Note: do not be fooled by claims of high thread count. Unless you are willing to pay several hundred dollars for a set, the thread count on lesser sets are usually "split" rendering the set a lesser quality. You can read about that here.
  • My sheets must be ironed. Yes, you read that right!! I iron my sheets. It has nothing to do with appearance, even though I do love how they look when I first climb into bed when the bed has been freshly made. (After one sleeping, that look is all gone!!) It is all about how they feel. Ironing smooths away any roughness and brings out the silkiness of the Egyptian cotton. If I am feeling extravagant, I will send them to the cleaners and have them pressed. I even spritz a bit of starch, especially on the pillowcases. The starch helps them stay looking a bit fresher for a little longer. Also, having a light layer of starch can help prevent any stains from totally penetrating into the fibers. Notice I said "help", it won't totally prevent that from happening.
  • Never use chlorine bleach on your fine sheets. This will weaken the fabric and aid in them wearing out too soon. If your sheets are looking a bit dingy, use a product like Snowey Bleach or Biz. You can also treat them with  lemon juice or hydrogen peroxide and lay them out in the sunshine. If you have a problem with outdoor allergies, bring them in and wash in the washing machine after treating.
  • Never wash or dry your sheets with anything else, even like-colored items such as towels or socks. They will attract little pieces of lint and fuzz from both of these.
  • Another bit of indulgence is a spritz of Lavender Linen spray.  Spray your sheets and pillowcases when you make the bed or when you turn the bedding down for the night and let it dry while you are finishing your nightly routine. Only takes a minute and gives you the sweetest sleep!!
  • I always use one or two fitted sheets (usually my lesser quality sheets) over my mattress  pad before I make the bed with the good ones. I don't know why, I just do!!!
  • I also use a Down Blanket on my bed year around. It is like a down comforter except that it is bound on all sides with satin binding. I found mine at TJMaxx for about $40 for a queen size.
Sweet dreams!!!

8 comments:

ritad said...

One of my best memories of sleeping at my Mothers house was that she always ironed her sheets. A few years ago when my life slowed down a bit and I had time for the things I really wanted to do I started ironing my sheets and it is heaven. I use spray sizing on the bottom sheet, but I use spray starch on the top sheet and pillow cases. Love the feeling of fresh ironed sheets. I too would have fresh sheets everyday if I just had a little more time everyday to iron them.

Goosegirl said...

I totally agree on all counts, except for the sateen sheets. I am a crisp percale girl myself. I have some cotton sateen sheets that are lovely, but I like crackly crisp instead, even in winter.
Though my favorite item is my heated mattress pad.
There is nothing in the world on a cold night like crawling into crisp clean sheets that have been heated to a toasty coziness.

Fun post!

LAnderson said...

Well, girlfriend - post a pic of your bed - I am envisioning pure BLISS! My best nites sleep is always the first nite in freshly cleaned bed linens!

Kirstie said...

Wow...wish I was like that or rather I'm sure my husband did. You make me want to go throw my sheets in the wash, but alas, I've already made the bed...maybe tomorrow. BTW post a pic I'd like to see it!

Sara said...

haha, well actually, my bed is not a frou-frou- fancy type, but really rather tailored. It looks kind of ordinary but it feels and smells FABULOUS!!!!

Bunny said...

I agree with your on all of your points. My favorite sheets are a high count BRUSHED Egyptian cotton set from France. They are so soft and cuddly and cost me more than I have ever spent on such things. It was money well spent.

GrannySmithGreen said...

Yeah! I've found a new blog friend who irons her sheets! My mother always had the sheets ironed and now I do too. I think it makes all the difference. It's funny the things that make me happy! So glad to have found your blog through P&G's pearl party!
-GSG

http://GrannySmithGreen.blogspot.com

Courtney said...

I am stopping over from the Pearl party. It is so nice to meet you. Love your post.

counter

free website hit counter login page
Powered by web analyticswebsite-statistics.html stats software program.