Monday, January 25, 2010

Michie's Front Pleated Bubble--Spring outfit

I love hand embroidery. Just a touch of it can turn an outfit into something really special. However, I feel that my skills in this art form leave a lot to be desired. It takes practice, lots of it, to execute really beautiful stitches.
In sewing for several children, sometimes I feel that I  must produce lots of outfits. But in working on this one, I have come to realize that what I really enjoy and wish to accomplish is fewer garments, but that each one be special and beautifully made.
I have a few more spring projects under way, so I hope you will stop back by to take a look!!
This little bubble is made of  a lovely buttercup yellow Irish linen with a collar made of pima cotton. The collar is edged in handmade tatting. The embroidery design is by Jeannie Baumeister and uses shadow embroidery and lazy daisy stitches, one of the easiest stitches there is and the one I need the most practice on, apparently!!
This was the first time I had made this pattern and it goes together beautifully with well written instructions. Being the sewing rebel that I am, usually I make a pattern my own way, but the first time I try a pattern, I go by the designer's instructions. I do this in order to see if there is a better technique that I might learn.

5 comments:

Shelia said...

Oh, Sara! This is so precious! I love it and you've done a beautiful job! I can just see a sweet little baby girl with her little fat chubby legs and arms in this little bubble!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia;)

Sara said...

thank you sheila!!!

julia said...

Lovely!! You do a fantastic job with your embroidery. I think that any time there is hand work on a garment it makes it so much more special! I agree with the fewer garment, but more special theory. With 5 grands and another on the way, I'm going to have to pare down how many outfits a year I'm trying to make. I always put the most into Easter and Christmas.

LAnderson said...

Beautiful work, Sara and I just LOVE the buttercup yellow!!!

Judy Prince said...

Oh, my gosh... that is a precious bubble suit and the hand work makes it all the more special. Can't wait to see the next beautiful creation from your mind and hands!

counter

free website hit counter login page
Powered by web analyticswebsite-statistics.html stats software program.