Friday, November 13, 2009

Harvest Fresh Apple Cake

Thank you to
Designs by Gollum for hosting Foodie Friday!!!








I just finished making this cake for my precious husband for his birthday dinner tomorrow. His late mother made this cake for him every year on his birthday, as it has always been his favorite. In the years since she has been gone, I have made it for him using her original recipe. But I have experimented with my own revisions and would like to share it with you. My sister also makes a wonderful apple cake and I have used her recipe for the glaze that she puts on hers. It is wonderful and gives the cake a bit of caramel flavor that is a wonderful autumn touch for the apples.
Because I like my cake to be rich, dense and dark, I allow my chopped apples to "sit" and let the air darken them. I also have substituted part of the sugar for brown sugar. That also adds to be the dark texture.
And of course, this is the type of cake that only improves after a day or two from baking!!!!
Hope you enjoy!!!
Harvest Fresh Apple Cake
1.5 cups oil                                               1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup granulated white sugar                    1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup packed dark brown sugar                3 cups tart apples, finely
3 eggs                                                             chopped
2.75 cups all purpose flour                        1 cup chopped walnuts or
2 tbsp. cinnamon                                             pecans
1 tbsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour tube or bundt pan. Combine first 3 ingredients in large mixing bowl and blend well. Sift dry ingredients together. Add to first mixture along with eggs. Fold in apples, nuts and vanilla. Spoon into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Glaze
3 tbsp. butter                                     3 tbsp. cream
3 tbsp. dark brown sugar                   1 tsp. vanilla
3 tbsp. white sugar
Bring all to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Spoon over warm cake.

8 comments:

Joyce said...

It sound good on its own but the glaze really makes it pop. I have copied this recipe to try in the future. Thanks for sharing.
Joyce

Cass @ That Old House said...

Looks fantastic! And it's such an attractive cake, too, with its lovely 'drips' of glaze. It would look wonderful on a Thanksgiving dessert table!
Cass

ButterYum said...

The cake sounds wonderful, but add that glaze and I'm done! Apple cake overload for me... wouldn't be able to stop eating it!... must make it soon!

:)
ButterYum

blushing rose said...

TY Sarah, I am now following you. Have a lovely weekend.

Pop over & enter our TRIPLE GIVEAWAY on Nov. 10th post.

Have a lovely weekend. TTFN ~Marydon

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

The cake sounds sooooooo good. I also was trying to get caught up and looked at a couple of previous posts. Your tablescape is beautiful. I love the turkey and your pilgrims. Everything is just gorgeous. Your kitchen is fabulous also. I just drooled through all of the pictures. They are gorgeous. A stunning remodel. Hugs, Marty

julia said...

Tell your husband, Happy Birthday, and that he should feel lucky to have a wife who will make his special cake for him. It sounds yummy!

Rettabug said...

Sending a "Belated Happy Birthday" wish to your sweet hubby & also "Thank you" for this yummy cake recipe, Sara! It looks & sounds delicious!

I've made a very similar recipe for years but it doesn't have the glaze yours does. I will try your recipe for sure.

I also substitute half of the oil in my recipe with applesauce, just to try to cut down on the fat content. I can't taste any difference.

Thanks for sharing this one.
fondly,
Rett

Jeanette said...

I will have to try this. It sounds delicious.

counter

free website hit counter login page
Powered by web analyticswebsite-statistics.html stats software program.